9.10.2007

toxic waste dump

I can't begin to express my frustration right now. I only hope that by pounding the virtual pillow I'll be able to move past it and focus on what I need to get done today.

I'm extremely frustrated because an HR director from a company in Paris who told me last I can recall that he wanted to give me a job. Trying to thin out my mail archives, I accidentally deleted a whole slew of emails that I had responded to which in turn eliminated the email thread they were a part of. So in one magnificent coup, I got rid of what the HR director actually said. For all I know, I'm remembering incorrectly.

Secondly, when I reminded this HR director that we haven't discussed anything via teleconferencing, a wish he had expressed before continuing with the hiring process, he said he was going to be in Holland until Monday (today.) And that on Monday (today) he'd email me. Today is here and there's no email. This is what I've come to expect from him, as he was the guy who told me after his interview with me that he liked me and wanted to move forward with me, then went on a three week vacation without telling me and then dropping me a line upon his return saying that we were going to do the next steps of the interviewing process. To his credit, we have indeed moved past that point, but to his detriment the man's a lousy communicator. For three weeks I thought that he changed his mind or filled the position somehow and neglected to inform me.

So I'm feeling frustrated because I don't know what's going on. He's not telling me. I have no idea what to expect from him when they do in fact offer me a position - if they do.

I dislike not knowing, I'm annoyed at how the French don't consider you as an engineer unless you come from a top school, I definitely don't like being left in the dark, and I don't want anyone to tell me "I know how you feel." I want everyone to say "That's the worst position a guy could be in. It must be so difficult."

And I forgot to charge my phone last night so I can't call Mrs. Sixline and cry on her shoulder.

This day is rotten from the get go.

4 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

That's the WORST position in which a guy could be. It must be SO difficult.

Eeyore said...

Yeah, what she said. I've already told you I know the feeling, and knew it was a bad idea. Kind of like telling a woman giving birth that she's okay. Just a bad idea.

Shaun said...

I'm not sure if this would be a good time to say that this sort of thing is what I expect from professional France. This isn't a mindless France-bashing statement, but given the rates on which they go on strike, their short work weeks, copious amounts of paid-vacation, and a generally laid-back attitude toward life, well, like I said it's what I would expect.

And yet they're right up there with us in the top-10 for production and all that jazz. Who'da thunk?

P.S. Congratulations on getting this far on being hired. And good luck getting through the French system.

sixline said...

Shaun, I keep telling myself it has nothing to do with me, that's it's just their mode d'emploi... But man is it unprofessional.